Two Charged Over Alleged Corruption Involving Auto Parts
On 10 May 2022, the following two individuals will be charged in Court for alleged corruption offences:
a) Joe Chua Yip Min (“Chua”) (蔡业民, 41-year-old male Singaporean), a salesperson employed by JAE Auto Pte Ltd (“JAE”) at the material time; and
b) Lim Hoon Min (“Lim”) (林富明, 57-year-old male Singaporean), a director of Teck Soon Lee Auto Supply Pte Ltd (“Teck Soon Lee”) at the material time.
2. Between January 2015 and December 2018, Chua had allegedly corruptly accepted at least S$29,600 from Lim as a reward for purchasing Nissan vehicle parts from Teck Soon Lee on behalf of JAE. It was also alleged that between September 2020 and March 2021, Lim had conspired with another Director at Teck Soon Lee to corruptly give S$1,345 to Chua as a reward for referring customers of JAE to Teck Soon Lee.
3. For his actions, Chua will face five amalgamated charges of corruption, punishable under Section 6(a) of the Prevention of Corruption Act. Correspondingly, Lim will face five amalgamated charges of corruption, punishable under Section 6(b) of the Prevention of Corruption Act, of which 1 count is read with Section 29(a) of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
4. Singapore adopts a strict zero-tolerance approach towards corruption. Any person who is convicted of a corruption offence can be fined up to S$100,000 or sentenced to imprisonment of up to five years or to both.
5. The Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) looks into all corruption-related complaints and reports, including anonymous ones, and can be reached via the following channels:
a) Lodge an e-Complaint;
b) Email us at email@example.com;
c) Call the Duty Officer at 1800-376-0000; or
d) Write to us at the CPIB Headquarters @ 2 Lengkok Bahru, S159047.
6. Where possible, the report should include the following information:
a) Where, when and how the alleged corrupt act happened?
b) Who was involved and what were their roles?
c) What was the bribe given and the favour shown?
CORRUPT PRACTICES INVESTIGATION BUREAU