Authority - you will lose it if you abuse it
Law Enforcers are rarely disobeyed as they are empowered to ensure laws are abided and order is maintained. Nevertheless, they sometimes may be tempted to ‘close one eye’ or abuse their power for personal gains. The consequences however, are predictable, if they abuse their authority, they would be severely dealt with.
2. The accused, Norezwan Bin Em (Norezwan) was a Senior Investigation Officer in the Employment Inspectorate of the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).
3. Investigations revealed that Norezwan had obtained gratification in the form of sexual favours from Liu Lihua (Lihua), a Chinese National, on three occasions at a carpark in Clementi and Oxley Hotel 88 between 30 October 2012 and 6 November 2012 as an inducement to extend the stay of Liu Lihua in Singapore.
4. Norezwan will be charged in Court on 9 April 2013 for three counts of corruptly obtaining gratification in the form of sexual favours, which is an offence punishable under Section 6(a) of the Prevention of Corruption Act, Chapter 241.
5. The respective charges for Norezwan are attached for reference.
6. Singapore has always adopted a zero tolerance approach towards corruption. The Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB) takes a serious view of any corrupt practices in Singapore and will not hesitate to take action against any parties involved in corrupt practices.
Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau